The Shaftesbury Snowdrop Event – Saturday 18th February 2023
1) There will be children’s morning and afternoon lantern making workshops held at the Trinity Centre Bimport. Ticket only entry unless you only need to refurbish a lantern from last year in which case just turn up.
Times Morning: 10.30-13.00. Afternoon 13.30-16.00
Under 9s must be accompanied by adult. Limited numbers, free tickets from the TIC in person only.
2) At 11.00 in the Arts Centre there will be a fascinating talk by Gail Harland of the RHS. We are so lucky to have her this year. Free admission – donations at door welcome. Tickets from the TIC.
More on Gail below.
3) After the talk people are free to have lunch anywhere they wish in the town and walk among the snowdrops in the grounds of the Trinity Centre or visit the arts centre gallery for the Snowdrops in Arts exhibition
4) Snowdrop walks are available from the TIC (20p each). An easy guided Snowdrop walk with Rachel Diment 18th leaving from the Town Hall at 1pm.
5) In the afternoon Springhead at Fontmell Magna will be holding an open garden including a chance to see the Heritage Collection. Open 13.00-Dusk. Refreshments available. Free admission but donations welcome.
6) At 18.00 meet for a lantern procession from the Trinity Centre around the town and Park Walk led by Steps in Time accompanied by musicians. The procession leaves at 18.15 and Steps in time will be performing Snowdrops dances.
7) After the procession musicians and possibly dancers will retire to a town hostelry for more music and revelry.
On Sunday 19th the National Trust’s Kingston Lacy gardens will be open 9.30-17.00 for more snowdrops
Further afield you can visit Tyneham Village and Upton Country Park for great displays.